Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sinister

5 of 6 viewers "Liked" "Sinister" (2012, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Book Wyrm - "Too many jump scares for me. This movie creeped me out beyond belief but I guess that's good for a horror movie." - 2 Stars

Lord Battle - "A commentary on horror fans with inspired directing and heavy metal undertones. "Sinister" will make you rethink being a horror fan." - 5 Stars

Huntress - "Ethan Hawke made me skeptical at first but that quickly faded. This was a genuinely freaky film." - 5 Stars

The Great Hornito - "Scariest movie I've seen this year. Ethan Hawke was very convincing." - 4 1/2 Stars

Johnny Ocelot - "Shocking with creepy atmospheric music, awesome concept." - 3 1/2 Stars

Ice Giant - "A very pleasant surprise how good this turned out to be, great acting from Hawke and a really cool looking demon." - 3 1/2 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
I don't know how, but I got it in my head that James Wan directed this film, which then led to lots of thoughts on how he was the end all director for haunted house pictures. Thankfully, I double checked what I had thought I already knew and realized Scott Derrickson was actually the director. I am a bit let down, only because James Wan's portfolio feels light having removed this film I love so much from it. On the other hand, this was the awesome film that put Scott Derrickson on my radar and I've already begun hunting for his mysterious short film, "Love in the Ruins".
Voyeurism is the main theme in "Sinister" bringing up questions like, why do we watch this stuff? I'd be the first to admit in Ellison Oswalt's (Ethan Hawke) situation I don't know if I would. Ellison is a complicated character though. He lives far in the past and lets his future pass before his eyes. This is beautifully shown in a scene where he falls asleep on his couch after he may or may not have experienced something paranormal.
There is another scene where he and his wife are arguing in their bedroom and they shift from sitting on the bed to sitting next to a dresser (or something, I'm not sure) that eclipses the sunlight. It's framing shots like that, that got me really into this film.
 I also very much enjoy it when my film demons eat the souls of children, make cool super 8 videos, and dress like they play black metal (see previous post). Seriously though, the short films are very realistic feeling and coupled with the awesome soundtrack this film has I'd call this a must see.
*Spoiler*
I did have some complaints about the ghost children frolicking around, but I think that ties in a lot with Ellison ignoring his own children, not to mention it is a serial scene and may not of even happened.
I think this film has a lot more to offer than audiences have given it credit for, and I am truly surprised it got a 4/5 rating as it has proven to be very polarizing.
-Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment