Thursday, October 17, 2013

Youth Without Youth

4 of 5 citizens "Liked" "Youth Without Youth" (2007, Italy)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Lord Battle - "Artsy and campy, this film is a visual adventure. The only complaint I have is that it runs long and lost me as it went on, not in a plot sense, but in an entertainment sense." - 3 Stars

Huntress - "It felt four hours longer than it was... Convoluted but had it's moments." - 3 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "A meditative dream of philosophy whose characters meanderings through consciousness and time are underscored by a deadpan camp." - 4 Stars

Ice Giant - "No Comment" - 3 Stars

The Great Hornito - Fell Asleep - Default 2 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
This film was screened a while back so I don't remember exactly how the audience reacted. I do remember that everyone was very caught up in the film, at first. The film requires a lot of concentration, as it's not quite as easy to digest as say "The Godfather". The main complaint voiced after the screening was that it ran a little long. 
My personal experience went like this; I was totally surprised by the beginning of the film as I thought it was going to be a quiet and slow film shot by an aged director. The Berkeley Blazer did not describe it very well before hand so when the film started out as vibrant and entertaining, I was not prepared. That feeling slowly faded away, and I'm not exactly sure when, but I am sure it was purely time related as the run time is 125 min. That may not be an incredibly long run time but this film requires so much focus that starting at 10PM left everyone burnt out.
I will say that this film is not for everyone and it seems that as Coppola gets older his films get more and more out there, I personally think this is awesome but from the responses "Twixt" and "Youth Without Youth" received, I'd think twice before recommending these films to casual movie goers.

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment