Monday, October 14, 2013

Twixt

5 of 6 viewers "Liked" "Twixt" (2012, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Huntress - "I loved getting lost in the writers journey part of this; it didn't feel like an investigative film at all." - 5 Stars

Lord Battle - "Coppola sends Val Kilmer into Twin Peaks, this is something you wont want to miss." - 4 1/2 Stars

Ice Giant - "The dream sequences were amazing. Val Kilmer proves how versatile of an actor he is." - 3 1/2 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "Not for everyone, but a free-spirited dream-mare exploration with a strong horror beat. What it lacks in cohesiveness, it compensates for in anything-goes ambiance." - 3 Stars

The Great Hornito - "The dream sequences were really cool, they made the movie for me. Val Kilmer was great as well!" - 4 Stars

Brewha - "I didn't understand where this movie was going through most of it." - 2 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
Before I get into the film, this awesome poster was created by Sadobistom on Deviant Art.

"Twixt" is a very stylish film with a visual narrative that makes the film worth re-watching, I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone though. Earlier in the citizen reviews I mentioned "Twin Peaks", this is because the first 10min and the last act of "Twixt" felt like an homage to David Lynch. Now don't get me wrong, I constantly see references to Lynch in everything so either he's had a huge impact on film everywhere or I am just applying his work to everything I watch. The second seems more reasonable but there is a scene I might go over in the future, it takes place towards the end of the film so I wont elaborate here.
Val Kilmer was my favorite part of this film. I grew up talking to my friends about how cool Kilmer was, I mean "Tombstone", enough said. Val Kilmer used to be a badass and it totally translates in "Twixt". The way he carries himself is that of a beat down star who has seen the better side of fame but is now buried by it. The best part is Val plays it like a Bruce Campbell character, where there is a certain amount of camp but it doesn't ever take away from the seriousness of the moment. 
I really was surprised by this film and liked it a lot but as more reviews are posted I'm sure it's becoming clear that I like off beat, artsy, or just bad stuff. I swear that although this film may be off beat and artsy, it is not bad.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment