Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Treasures From The ComiCombs


Once again new comic book day is upon us. April continues with another week of strong releases. This week we see a lot of new issues for your favorite titles and a nice bunch of new #1’s as well. My last head to head picks were a random bunch of disappointment so this week I look to redeem myself with something very familiar yet different. Curious? Read on to find out what I have in store but first my picks for this week!



Hot Damn (IDW)

Ryan Ferrier and Valentin Ramon, the same creative team behind D4VE bring us an all new #1 with Hot Damn. I’m really excited to see what’s in store with this new title. 

“Hard living catches up to Teddy, and eternal damnation awaits-but it's nothing like the good book tells you. Hell is a therapy session you can never leave.”



Black Road (Image)

Black Road is a wild card pick for me. Brian Wood, most know for DMZ, brings us this all new title. Set in Norway, this is a Viking tale that on the surface is looking like a revenge story but I’m confident Brian wood has something great in store for us. 

“Meet Magnus the Black, neither clean nor sober, neither Christian nor Pagan, but a man true to his word. When a ranking official under his care is brutally murdered, he's prepared to hunt the killers to the frozen tip of Norway, religious war be damned.”



House of Pennance (Dark Horse)

I’m really excited for this release. Dark horse is no stranger to horror and with the release of House of Pennance, a blend of horror, history, and fiction, they bring together an all-star creative team with Peter J. Tomasi and Ian Bertram.

“The Winchester House is famous for its original owner's bizarre compulsion to incorporate a multitude of architectural curiosities. As the bereaved Sarah Winchester's workers toil on stairways to nothing and doors to nowhere, a mysterious stranger arrives . . . and he could make Sarah's demons all too real.”
-----------------------------------

Last week was the end of the head to head picks that I really enjoyed. This week I decided to dig into the endless piles of zombie books out there. I’m tired of the typical end of the world, survivors running from zombie scenario because there are just so many out there. This week I have a couple of zombie books for you that are told from the perspective of the zombie.



izombie (Vertigo)

When I was a kid, people who read comics were labeled as nerds and made fun of for wearing their sweet, sweet X-Men t-shirt. These days nerds are in and you can’t turn the channel or go to a movie theatre without seeing at least one show or movie based on a comic book. izombie is one of those many books turned into a TV series. While the show looks a bit on the boring side to me, I am actually looking forward to the book. 

“Gwendolyn 'Gwen' Dylan is a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery. Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her own memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person - until she eats her next brain.

Gwen sets out to fulfill the dead person's last request, solve a crime or right a wrong. Our zombie girl detective is joined by her best friend, Eleanor, who happens to be a swinging '60s ghost, a posse of paintball-blasting vampires, a smitten were-dog and a hot but demented mummy.”



Marvel Zombies (Marvel)

Before you let out that sigh, draw your eyes to the bottom of the image of this mind numbingly awesome zombified recreation of Amazing Fantasy #15. Yes, who better than to write a Marvel Zombies book than THE king of zombie books, Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead). I passed on this book when it was a monthly series because in no way did I want to see my favorite Marvel characters as undead monsters. With Marvel's recent All-New All-Different push I now want nothing more than to see those heroes as undead monsters. I couldn’t be more excited to read a Marvel book that I passed on all those years ago and you can believe that sweet, sweet X-Men t-shirt will make an appearance while I am reading this one. 

“It first came from the skies - a horrific virus that turned nearly every man, woman and child on Earth into undead zombies. Even Marvel's greatest heroes - including Captain America, Spider-Man and the Hulk - have succumbed, driven only by one mindless goal: to feed on human flesh. But with only a small number of survivors remaining against this unstoppable tide of hunger, what happens when the zombie's finally run out of humans to eat?”


Make sure to come back next week to see my review and the winner of this undead edition of my head to head showdown. Happy new comic book day!


- The Creature of the ComiCombs

No comments:

Post a Comment