Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Digging Up The Dirt with KillDozer and Dog Eat Dog



In our horror community is it no secret that fans of heavy music also tend to be some of the biggest horror nerds you will ever meet. Dave Neabore is no exception except that he also composes and happens to play in one of the most note worthy HipHop Hardcore bands ever, Dog Eat Dog. I was lucky enough to become friends with Dave through my admiration of his original horror one sheet and soundtrack collections before realizing that his love of the genre went far beyond being a fan and that he has created some horror sights and sounds of his own. I got a chance to dig up the dirt with Dave while he was on the road living the tour life.



KillDozer: Let's start at the beginning. What inspired your love of horror, music and horror music?

Dave Neabore: I’ve loved horror and music since I was a kid. My parents took me to movies like The Howling, Jaws 2, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Deep, and they really affected me. I grew up in a time where there were so many horror movie ads in the papers and early Fangoria magazines were on the supermarket shelves. VHS and cable TV were just entering the mainstream. There was so much going on and for this 10 year old in 1980, I was fascinated and horrified at the same time. I always loved music especially heavy metal and I also appreciated classical music which is why I think I was attracted to horror soundtracks too.


KD: When did you start your incredible one sheet collection? 

Dave: I started collecting movie posters in the early-mid 80's. I used to beg the local video stores for posters. When I started visiting horror conventions my original one-sheet collection began. I remember Fright Night, Dawn Of The Dead, and The Hills Have Eyes being among the first in my collection. My favorites are US and Canadian slashers from 78-82, and anything Italian.


KD: Tell us about Dog Eat Dog. Is the rest of the band into horror as well?

Dave: Dog Eat Dog is currently on tour in Europe and working on new music. We’ve been together for 28 years now so our journey has been pretty incredible. I’ve made the other band members watch so many horror and cult movies over the decades of vans, hotels, and tour bus back lounges! I think they all appreciate a good horror movie but not necessarily the C or D movies I tend to love.


KD: You have shared stages with legendary bands like Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, and Suicidal Tendencies to name a few. What is the best part about touring? Do you have a solid work life balance or is all your time spent with Dog Eat Dog?

Dave: One day I’ll make a master list of bands we've shared the stage with over the years. It's hard for me to believe that I was a teenage kid listening to my records of all these great bands and I would someday share the stage with them thanks to Dog Eat Dog. I think the best part of touring is seeing so many different countries and making friends around the world. It really is an education in itself and to get paid for it is just an added bonus. At this stage of our career the band is considered part time. We usually do 40-50 shows a year and then we have jobs that pay health insurance for the rest of the year.


KD: Your soundtrack collection is the stuff of legend. Has touring helped you to find rare titles? How do you take care of these delicate treasures while on the road?

Dave: Haha thank you! I’ve been collecting soundtracks since the early 80's and have acquired quite a nice collection. Vinyl is cool of course, but I still love CD's so I can listen in my car. I’m always on the lookout for new soundtracks wherever I go on tour. I usually do some research on the city before I get there and if I have the time I’ll run to used record and DVD shops and buy whatever I can. I always manage to come home with something new. Taking care of vinyl in a touring situation isn’t easy, so you have to make sure you’re careful, but I’ve seen some rarities in France, Germany, and Italy and I know I’d regret it later if I didn’t pick them up.


KD: Let's get into your original compositions. You composed for both the film Biohazardous in 2001 and documentary Paura: Lucio Fulci Remembered in 2008. What were those experiences like? How were you approached to work on these projects?


Dave: I was contacted by my good friend Michael J. Hein, who directed Biohazardous, to compose an opening title theme. I didn’t have any of time or money, so basically I had one day in the studio to come up with the music. I thought of Italian Zombie soundtracks and I tried to incorporate a “biological” feel. Overall it was a fun experience. For Paura I was contacted via phone by director Mike Baronas. We had never met before but he heard the track I did for Lucio Fulci: A Symphony Of Fear and wanted me to do 5 tracks for the documentary.  I decided to do a part homage, part mash-up of Fulci soundtracks, and hopefully this soundtrack will be released again in the near future.


KD: It must have been an honor to take part in a Fulci documentary. Have you received more interest in your compositions since then? Are you working on anything new at the moment?

Dave: Yes it was an honor for sure, it is because of that soundtrack that I was approached by Stephen Romano to score the Bottomfeeder and Zombie comic books from Eibon Press. One thing always leads to another. I am starting a full length record in the fall. It’s going to be a mix of styles but all instrumental.


KD: Are you at all surprised about the amount of horror community followers you have on your Instagram? Do you think heavy music and horror go hand and hand?

Dave: I originally joined Instagram as a way to share my horror collection and my band experiences with friends. I’ve had a slow but steady buildup of followers and I’m really happy when I meet them in real life in different countries. Horror and heavy metal definitely go hand in hand and there’s a great book called Heavy Metal Movies that proves that point!


KD: Tell me about the short film Jason Hurts? What was it like directing a horror comedy? How did the idea come together?

Dave: I started making short films in the early 90's and eventually had a decent budget for a few of them. Jason Hurts is part of my “backyard” shorts, where I literally filmed them in the backyard using only close friends. Jason Hurts was an idea between me and my friend Scott Adams. We thought what if Jason Voorhees was depressed and the idea just grew from there. After I put it up on YouTube I was contacted by the producer of the Friday The 13th documentary called His Name Was Jason, and he asked if they could use it as a bonus on the DVD.  I had to change the music for legal reasons but the original version is on YouTube.


KD: I can honestly say that you inspired me to try and collect horror themed beer and that's saying a lot because I'm an old straight edge dude. Tell us about your collection. Do you drink them and hold onto the bottles? What do you think has sparked the giant interest in micro brews lately?

Dave: I used to have a huge collection of craft beer but it’s impossible to keep up anymore so I just buy and enjoy. I’m always on the lookout for movie related beers, and I do keep the bottles of the really cool ones. I love going to breweries and drinking right at the place where the beer is made. You know it’s fresh and made with love. I think people are finally sick of Budweiser and Coors being the definition of beer, life is too short to drink that crap.


KD: Will you be making any other films any time soon? If so what is your dream project?

Dave: I took a break from making short films to concentrate on music. One day I’ll upgrade my equipment and make another horror project. It’s a ton of work doing that stuff and I don’t have the time at the moment. My dream is to direct a full length horror movie, and I’ll make one even if it’s the last thing I ever do!


KD: Where can we go to follow Dog Eat Dog and view your awesome collection of beers, original one sheets, and horror soundtracks?

Dave: Instagram @dogeatdog.official for up to date news and pics or follow me at @dogeatdave to see my horror collection.


KD: Okay time for fun questions- If you could re-score any film what would it be and why?

Dave: I’d re-score Dario Argento’s Trauma. I’m a huge fan of composer Pino Donaggio, but I felt the score did not match the tone of the film correctly. I would do a Goblin style score and I think the movie would be a bit more intense.


KD: What are the last 3 modern horror titles that blew your mind?

Dave: Well I don’t know if they are still considered modern but I enjoyed Haute Tension, A Serbian Film, and The Descent.


KD: What is your favorite piece of horror memorabilia that is not a one sheet or soundtrack?

Dave: That’s all I have! Lol I don’t really collect much else but my Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things laserdisc signed by Bob Clark and Alan Ormsby is something I cherish.


KD: If you were writing an autobiography what would be the title?

Dave: “Don’t Talk About It, Do It” But that’s been taken so I have to think of another title haha.


Enjoy Dave's short Jason Hurt and check out the rest of his shorts at his YouTube Channel
And get all the Dog Eat Dog info you need at DogEatDogOfficial.com!





-KillDozer

No comments:

Post a Comment