Thursday, August 21, 2014

5 Short Horror Films You Can Watch In Under An Hour (The Lost Ice Giant Post)

This post was written by the Ice Giant on April 7th.
5 Short horror films you can watch in under an hour

I’ve always been a big fan of the anthology horror genre ever since seeing creep show as a little kid and after spending so much time watching short horror films I think it’s because with such little time compared to a typical length movie the writers and directors know they have to cut out the bullshit and just tell the best story they can.  Sadly with the age of the internet and cheaper high quality cameras and easier to use editing programs the internet has been bombarded with some not so good horror shorts.  Lucky for everyone reading I have done the dirty work and weeded out the bombs with 5 shorts that I think are 5 of the best.   Watch the movie before reading the text under as it will contain spoilers. 

Deus Irae

A fragile border separates our world from the realm of darkness. Only one thing stands in their way—a secret order of priests who devote their lives and souls to protect this border. They are the Deus Irae.



This short is pretty ridiculous and I think if it had been in English I wouldn’t of even of included it despite the age of the internet and the world becoming a much smaller place a foreign language is still a good way to induce fear, as a fan of the evil dead series I enjoy a good ass kicking character from time to time and leather jacket man priest was a good example the nod to Divine Comedy was also a nice touch. A lot of shorts are made in the hopes it can become a feature and this is one that I feel could make an awesome campy feature film.

Do you believe in the Devil

On the floor of a bar restroom, a man on his deathbed is met by Danny Pickler: a former classmate of his ... who died twenty-six years ago. On the brink of damnation, he is offered a deal that could save his life - but in the process may destroy his humanity.
This asks a question I know I have asked myself and I’m sure a bunch more of you have also asked “what would I do for one more chance”.  It doesn’t even have to be another chance at living a second chance is a very rare thing in any situation and I know of a few situations that would be rather tempting.  This one is also good because it shows how seamlessly horror and comedy can flow together, it doesn’t have to be as over the top as scary movie but the best horrors seem to always find a way to weave a little comedy into it.

Light’s Out

A woman gets a surprise before bed


This is the shortest entry on the list and it reminds me of the kind of story you would tell around a campfire.  This one I also think might be the one most people have seen it is being shown around the internet a lot right now which also means it’s the one I’ve heard the most opinions about, personally I thought the creature was comical looking but it is apparently doing a good job at creeping out the majority of people who watch it then again as a citizen of the overlook I have a higher fortitude then the average internet dweller  and for the budget it was made on it was not a bad looking creature.

Cargo

Stranded in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, a man sets in motion an unlikely plan to protect the precious cargo he carries



By the time I saw this I was sick to death of zombies, especially in the short horror genre they are way overdone and for every decent zombie film there are 1000 piles of crap people call a film.  In a genre so over done its hard to put an original spin on it but the filmmakers do an excellent job here.  I showed this to a person earlier and she said it was sad they were just delaying the inevitable which made me think she missed the point entirely, more than anything this film shows no matter the situation we’ll find a way we are an incredibly resilient species capable of amazing feats.

Run

Sam is on the road and he writes a letter to his mother back home.


run from Mat Johns on Vimeo.

This is by far the most chilling of the 5 to me,   “Do you believe in the Devil” called it out at the end we don’t need the help of any monsters man alone is terrifying enough.   The way its presented the word I think best is beautiful which is why it makes such a chilling movie it drags you in, the serene background music,  Sam’s gravely almost soothing voice you can feel the intelligence in him and see how easily acting in social situations come to him it feels just like a kid on the road checking in, No ghosts, monster, or demon could ever come close to being as chilling as Sam.  
- Ice Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment