Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Devil Knows His Own

0 of 5 viewers "Liked" "The Devil Knows His Own" (2013, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Math Mage - "A Lifetime/SyFy coproduction so awful neither network will admit participating." - 1 Star 

Huntress - "The handful of cool shots in this movie were just a tease." - 2 Star

Lord Battle - "This film should have been a silent, since I enjoyed 80% of the shots. In fact, I though some were deeply inspired and truly scary. I just could not get past the acting. I mean, I love "B" movies but this film took itself more serious, which is awesome, but then they would have a monologue and you would "B" reminded." - 2 1/2 Stars

The Great Hornito - "This movie tried way too hard to be artsy but it just came off as a self indulgent and sometimes lazy. A couple of the scenes in the movie were pretty good, that's the only reason I even gave it 1/2 a star." - 1/2 Star (default to 1)

Book Wyrm - "I would say something but I don't want to hurt the director's feelings. = ( " - 1 Star



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
The citizens really cut into this film and, as I promised, I didn't sensor any of it. I still feel like it was a bit much though; if this film could have cut down on the dialogue and shown more of the dark entity in the house I think it would have gone over a lot better. Also, everyone seemed to enjoy the music at one point or another, but no one chose to comment on that. I'd recommend this film to people who liked "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" not because it's found footage but because it offers the same kind of atmosphere.
Thanks to Jason Hawkins for sending me his film!
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

2 comments:

  1. Lifetime/syfy co-production? This makes absolutely no sense, nor do any of the reviews....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lifetime/Syfy co-production was part comment on the films atmosphere and a much bigger part joke. I agree that the earlier reviews felt lacking in depth which is why I now follow up with a lengthier closing statement. And thank you for the first negative comment.

      Delete