Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dead Hooker in a Trunk

3 of 6 viewers "Liked" "Dead Hooker in a Trunk" (2011, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Book Wyrm - "If you combine "Pretty Little Liars" and "Twilight" on drugs, you get this movie." - 2 Stars

Lord Battle - "I hated this film the first time I watched it, second time around it wasn't as bad. Expect nothing and you might enjoy yourself." - 2 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "Don't watch this and your life will probably be better, but if you have to, you'll be somewhat pleasantly surprised." - 3 Stars

Math Mage - "A surreal non-horror film starring a fighter, a rouge, a wizard, and a cleric." - 3 Stars

The Great Hornito - "I hated every second of this piece of trash. Thank god they are twins and not triplets cuz then it would have been 3 times as shitty." - 1/2 Star (Default 1)

Huntress - "At least it was bloody." - 2 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
With "American Mary" out and "See No Evil 2" on the horizon, I thought it be fun to screen the original Soska twins film. Now my first experience with Dead Hooker was pretty different since I found out about the film from a top 10 list of "New Masters of Horror" (you can see the list here). If you checked out the list you must have noticed the twins didn't make it, but it's below in the comments that I learned of them. In fact, when this list was released at least two others like it came out only to get the same kind of responses: "Really!? Not one woman on that list….." or "this is a total sausage fest!!" These comments were responded to with "What women do you think belongs on the list?", and the same response was always given, the Soska Twins!! Of course I had to check them out and you can tell from the responses above I wasn't impressed. Dead Hooker wasn't all bad, I did like the loss of limbs and the car was pretty cool. I just could not get into the twins' characters. They sucked at being both badass and nerdy, neither character felt slightly authentic.
I wont lie though, I really liked "American Mary" even though its third act was lacking (Expect to see that reviewed soon) and I am dying to see "See No Evil 2". So it goes without saying I see a lot of potential in the twins and will be following them closely. I just can't get into the feminist-camp that Dead Hooker prides itself on.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment