Monday, November 11, 2013

The Willies aka Donkey Lips the Serial Killer

2 of 6 viewers "Liked" "The Willies" (1990, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Ice Giant - "Brought me back to my childhood but the main story was way too long and had a predictable shitty payoff." - 2 Stars

Lord Battle - "This film had a ton of potential, with Sean Astin, Michael Bower (Donkey Lips), and Dana Ashbrook (Bobby from Twin Peaks) this film truly is a trip back to the good ol' 90's." - 3 1/2 Stars

The Great Hornito - "The Willies was an awesome kid movie. It felt like a goosebumps story. The characters were convincing too. I only wish it had more stories and the ones it did have weren't so long." - 3 1/2 Stars

Huntress - Fell Asleep - Default 2 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "First, I suggest watching the film up until the vignette with the abomination in the bathroom is finished: it's by far the best part. While timbre of this film will pluck your strings if you lived through the 90's, this tongue-in-cheek horror anthology is marred irrevocably by a paucity of stories (only two) and a later half that made me think at some point during production, the money well dried up." - 2 Stars

Math Mage - "Oh what a twist! How could we have guessed that in a film about super grow fertilizer and fly obsessed boy we would see giant fly's!" And "I wanted to list the scenes which were unnecessary and stupid, but then I realized that list would cover the whole film!" - 1 Star


                                              Beware, this trailer will ruin the whole movie...

                                                    The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
 I was very excited to finally get to screen this film, sadly it didn't go over very well. I wasn't sure if this was an anthology film or a standard horror about kids in the woods, I was hoping for the second option. Still this movie has a lot to offer if you're looking for 90's cameo-fest and or a GooseBumps style story. The thing that killed this film was it's pacing, the first few stories seem incredibly short, but set a quick pace that's pretty cool since the stories don't require much depth. Then, you hit a story that feels about 45 min long, even though you know it's not, and it's followed by another such story that feels 120 min long. They aren't terrible stories, they just drag on and on... In fact the last story features Donkey Lips as a troubled teen. I found this very exciting as I instantly started getting visions of a black and white editing job that would make it feel like a Lynch story... One day I will make it happen and I'll be sure to share it on the blog. 
A special thanks to Math Mage, who gave me two reviews for a film he hated!

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or                                                      "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment