Thursday, November 7, 2013

Redline and what should be it's Criterion Cover

9 of 9 viewers "Liked" "Redline" (2009, Japan)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Lord Battle - "I love this film, it's a rare blend of Studio Ghibli and Heavy Metal Magazine. A beautifully animated film that's also got a gritty 80's adult vibe. I haven't been this excited about an anime film since "Perfect Blue"." - 5 Stars 

Johnny Ocelot - "An on the edge of your seat adrenaline rush filled with a psychedelic explosion of nonstop action. Think of crazy races on steroids pumped with ecstasy like the ultra charged rides of the racers, "Redline" will keep you going till the finish line. A must see." - 5 Stars

Book Wyrm - "Absolutely beautiful animation, especially considering it came out in 2009. With music highly reminiscent of "The World Ends With You", this movie was highly entertaining." - 4 1/2 Stars

The Great Hornito - "Best racing movie I've seen since "Speed Racer". Stunning graphics and a killer soundtrack too." - 4 1/2 Stars

Bug - "This movie was good all together, the racing just isn't really my thing. Still good nonetheless!" - 3 1/2 Stars

Huntress - "I don't know which I loved more, the one of a kind characters or the in your face soundtrack." - 5 Stars

Ice Giant - "Gorgeous art, original story and really cool characters makes one of the best anime features ever." - 5 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
Ice Giant had to repeatedly hound me to watch this film until I finally screened his BluRay copy. Later that night, I jumped online and ordered my own. I have never responded to an anime like that before and even I was surprised.
I feel that anime is formulaic in script and in illustration, and would much rather see a really badly animated film that features it's own unique art style than a great story that looks like everything else. Now with that said, "Redline" doesn't look drastically different from other things out, but it differs enough to feel fresh. 
The main thing I love about this film is how it feels like a weird 80's B movie that was found and given a new life in HD glory. Anime has never been screened at The Overlook Theatre, but "Redline" fits in so perfectly that I think it may open the door for more in the future, and with 4 of the citizens being avid anime buffs it's almost guarantied.
The poster I used above for the reviews I found on a blog on Tumblr called Jupiter Jazz Theory. It's so perfect yet so different from what the film actually contains that it would have to be the cover of "Redline", if it were released on the Criterion collection. And if you ask me, it should.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment