Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Wer and Some Cruel Words

4 of 9 viewers "Liked" "Wer" (USA, 2013)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Lord Battle - "Brian Scott O'Connor makes an amazing wolf-man, sadly the rest of the film is a boring who-done-it with a seizing shaky-cam simulating suspense when needed." - 1 1/2 Stars

B4DK - "Awesome kills. Pretty OG idea, who doesn't like werewolves destroying people? con = media segments way too long.". - 4 Stars

KillDozer - "Never reaches it's full potential. A great take on the werewolf lore, interesting enough to recommend, but only worth one watch. Awesome kills and jump-scares, but not enough development. I was waiting for more." - 2 Stars

Book Wyrm - "I enjoyed it but I wish they looked more like wolves. I don't have much to say, the movie was mediocre but the action was good and I liked the British guy. Lol." - 3 Stars

Huntress - "Just when I was convinced this was going to be a court type drama, it turned into a completely different movie; much more action but not all of it good. I can appreciate the attempt to rework werewolves, but a lot of this movie was more comical than awesome." - 2 1/2 Stars

Math Mage - "1/2 French, 1/2 English, all terrible. Alternately aggravating & boring; this is the worst not-werewolf film I've ever seen." - 2 Stars




The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*

If the current generation is truly ADD riddled, over stimulated, superficial brats, then "Wer" might actually work as a modern masterpiece. From found footage to mockumentary to procedural, "Wer" is a very confused film. On top of the format jumping all over the place in the first hour, you also get some of the shakiest shaky-cam ever and of course this all accents one of the most disrespectful romps through werewolf cinema lore to-date. 
In all fairness, this is just one of those films that never managed to grab me and since we project every film with multiple reviewers it's not like I could just turn it off. I did have a lot of fun listening to Math Mage's ideas of how the story could have been more interesting. I promise to get some of his future musing in writing so I can share them on the blog. As for "Wer", I can say there is a werewolf fight that contains a weak setup and a lot of CG, not exactly my cup of tea... Although, Brian Scott O'Connor makes an amazing wolf-man, so much so that I felt the need to repeat this for a second time. It's actually upsetting how awesome he looks in full makeup, since his performance is doomed to forever be buried in the center of such a lackluster film.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment