Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Overlook Theatre Reviews: Low Life


The sordid lives of an addict, an ex-con, and a luchador collide when an organ harvesting caper goes very, very wrong.

7 of 8 viewers "Liked" "Low Life" (2018, USA)
Creature reviews have been minimally altered in an attempt to maintain their voice:

Lord Battle - "When a movie poster prominently features a luchador, I think two things: how much I hated Nacho Libre and how much I love Santo. Early into Low Life, we are introduced to El Monstruo who instantly reads like a clone of the Mexican folk hero. Much like Santo, Monstruo is a larger than life character who the camera loves and audiences root for, although unlike El Santo or "The Saint", El Monstruo's or "The Monster's" rapport with the audience is quickly challenged as we see him lose his cool at a quinceanera, get disrespected while taking a photo with a fan, and stand by as a young lady is forced into prostitution. The end result is the complete humanization of a comic-sized character, it's brilliant! Low Life operates at this pace throughout the film, constantly challenging social, racial, and film stereotypes. If Hitchcock didn't teach you to never judge a book by its cover, Ryan Prowes's indie masterpiece will." - 5 Stars

Wandering Panda - " Okay, I have no idea where to start with this review!! But I definitely enjoyed this film. It's made of multiple mini-stories that collide into one that makes me smile thinking about. Low Life has a strong cast and I'm interested in knowing more about them. Even the father of the quinceanera girl is interesting. The 3 standouts for me are El Monstro, Teddy, and the swastika tattooed white boy!! This guy made the movie for me! Low Life is very easy to follow which makes it a fun watch. The humor doesn't hurt it either. We saw this film with one of its makers, Benji Carver, which gave it a charged energy. Low Life needs to be watched ASAP and if you can buy the movie it's worth it!!" - 4.5 Stars

The Impostor - "Low Life definitely exceeded my expectations. I had no idea what I was expecting from only seeing the cover. El Monstro is both brutal and comedic, and a fun character to watch. I loved how each character gets time to shine. I started off disliking most of them but I was won over with the intertwined way the stories were told. Low Life is very underrated and I wish I heard about it sooner. The kills and gore are a highlight. Overall fun and engaging film, I look forward to buying it on bluray." - 4.5 Stars

Grey Ranger - "A fine, fine time. A visceral and funny midnight movie that tweaks stereotypes and engages contemporary political realities. Definitely works its parallel timelines and ties it all up with a climax that's as satisfyingly bloody as it is achingly moving." - 4 Stars

Huntress - "Watching Low Life in a group was an interesting and almost necessary experience because there's nothing like The Impostor's applause or Wandering Panda's gasp to lighten the mood after a dark moment or brutal kill. This movie is loaded with both! Surprisingly, there is also a plentiful amount of appropriately dark humor throughout and the tone shifts seamlessly all across the emotional spectrum. The fractured storytelling reminded me of Pulp Fiction but I liked Low Life much more." - 4 Stars

Math Mage - "A comedy so bleak that nothing can escape its gravitational pull. Well constructed non linear narrative remains engaging without being confusing. Excellent gore and realistic violence combined with clever dialog and well-integrated myth-making. (I don't know if El Monstro was a real thing outside this movie and I don't need to know because all pertinent info is embedded in the narrative)." - 4.5 Stars

Eddie the Gamer Ghoul - "Dis felt reminiscent ta Shawn of da Dead in how they took a serious situation an' added humour. All in all a great movie, da start was a little slow but picked up quickly an' da gore was better den most. Now I wanna go play Guacamelee damn it." - 4 Stars

Clark Little - Fell Asleep - Default 2 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
(Below is for after you've seen the film)

"It only seemed fitting that I was exploring the cemetery gardens and gravestones of Colma before I walked into The Overlook Theatre’s DIY Den of Lions. Russell aka Lord Battle or in my phone, Lord Chaos, as we witnessed the previous Sunday’s screening experience at the Alamo Drafthouse, introduced me quickly to a scattered group of dark shadowy viewers whose eyes were focused on the singular light projected screen. The movie they were watching, a Christian found footage horror movie called The Lock-In, played off of a YouTube link. Russell whispered in my ear, “We’re watching a religious movie.” I thought, I had either entered into the best horror viewing room this side of the bay area or the newest Manson family revival just in time for the 50 anniversary of Helter Skelter. Luckily, yours truly was armed with a copy of the baddest-most-wildest movie, these dark shadowy viewers and most of America had not yet seen today, I’m talking about LOWLIFE. It’s the modern day answer to all our Repo Man, Pulp Fiction, and pro-wrestling needs--Yes, I’m bias because I had the privilege to help build sets and handle the props, “the big guns” on Lowlife, it has become my filmmaking bible on how you and your friends gotta get together and make a feature movie, by any means necessary. Just as I was about to bring out my BluRay copy to fend off all who deemed me worthy or not, Russell had brought his own copy too. I guess good does exist in this bloody dark hearted world. We laughed, we cried, we cheered for characters El Monstruo, Randy, Keith, and Crystal as they come together to fight the power of the evil drug lord scumbag Teddy! *No Spoiler Alerts* And Clark fell asleep in his bean bag chair. I hear this is a thing. All in all, the black hole sunset on this day in the west, it was a good day to end in the bay. "

Bloody Best,
Benji


The Overlook Theatre materialized in a residence for a screening on 10/4/2018
*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not affect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment