August 23rd 2016
Bluray Tuesday returns! It's a big week for new releases in everything from films to TV seasons. Clown, which was released last year and released on Bluray over seas, finally gets a Bluray release here in the states. Clown was a well done horror film and I will definitely be buying this. Scream Factory releases Psycho IV from director Mick Garris (Masters of Horror, Sleepwalkers, etc). I saw this when I was younger and will be refreshing my memory on this one sometime this week. The biggest mainstream film this week is The Huntsman Winter's War, a prequel to 2012's Snow White and The Huntsman. Best Buy will carry this in two Steelbook forms, both with the same cover art. The first steel book is standard Bluray/Dvd and the second is the very first new 4K steelbook release. On the TV series front we have lots of horror related shows hitting shelves today so we can get caught up for the new seasons start back up. My favorite of the bunch is Ash Vs. Evil Dead and Best Buy will carry an exclusive steelbook packaging that will be super rare so be in stores at opening. Currently, Best Buy's website does not have a shipping option. If you're not lucky on the steelboook, its standard release does come with an awesome lenticular slipcover. The next big series released is Season Six of The Walking Dead. I'm counting the days to its season 7 premiere in October and am looking forward to re-watching this season as well as the extended and unedited finale, which is only on this release. Target pulls through, continuing its steelbook exclusive and I will be picking this up first thing. Many retailer exclusives today which gets kinda expensive. So what will you be buying, renting, or just skipping this week? Let us know in the comments. Also don't forget to check out our Instagram page here, and our Facebook page here. We love the conversations and talking all things horror. Speaking of all things horror keep an eye out for The Overlook Hour our upcoming weekly podcast which is pretty exciting. Check out more details here. Until next week!
Clown: Amazon - $13.53
Clown is a story of a loving father who dons a clown outfit and makeup to perform at his son’s sixth birthday, only to later discover that the costume – red nose and wig included– will not come off and his own personality changes in a horrific fashion. To break the curse of the evil outfit, the father must make grim choices with his own family facing danger.
Making Clown Featuring Producer Eli Roth.
Psycho IV: Amazon - $19.99
A seemingly rehabilitated Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) is drawn to a late night radio show where the host (CCH Pounder) encourages him to share his views on the topic of matricide. Reliving his childhood, Norman recounts his trials of a young boy (Henry Thomas) living with his widowed schizophrenic mother (Olivia Hussey). These haunting memories are more than just disturbing visions of the past; they threaten to rekindle his killing urge in this spine-tingling thriller directed by Mick Garris
- NEW Audio Commentary with director Mick Garris, actors Henry Thomas and Olivia Hussey
- NEW The Making of Mother – an interview with make-up effects artist Tony Gardner (27 minutes)
- Rare Behind-the-Scenes footage from director Mick Garris
- Photo Gallery of rare photos from Mick Garris
The Huntsman Winter's War: Amazon - $19.99
4K: Amazon - $27.99
Winter's War stars Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road, Monster) as the evil Queen Ravenna, who betrays her good sister Freya (Emily Blunt: Sicario, Edge of Tomorrow) with an unforgivable act, freezing Freya's heart to love and unleashing in her an icy power she never knew she possessed. Retreating to a kingdom far to the north, Freya raises an army of Huntsmen as her protectors, with the only rule that no two of them should ever fall in love. As a war for domination escalates between the two queens, the hero standing between good and evil is Freya's most elite Huntsman, Eric (Chris Hemsworth: Thor, Star Trek Into Darkness). Alongside fellow warrior Sara (Jessica Chastain: The Martian, The Help) — the only woman who has ever captured his heart — Eric must help Freya vanquish her sister or Ravenna's wickedness will rule for eternity.
- Two Queens and Two Warriors – The true heart of The Huntsman: Winter's War is found in its three powerful women, Ravenna, Freya, and Eric's lost wife, Sara. Learn how the strength and complexity of the film's female roles drew potent new star power in Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain, as well as convincing Charlize Theron to reprise her role as Ravenna.
- Meet the Dwarfs – Nick Frost's Nion and Rob Brydon's Gryff brought a sense of levity and fun to the adventure — especially once they met their female counterparts. Explore the importance of all four dwarf characters in the film and on set, where the actors who portrayed them earn a reputation for keeping the fun rolling, even when the cameras stopped.
- Magic All Around – Rooted in history, but inhabited by magic, the world of The Huntsman: Winter's War is a true visual spectacle. Follow along and see how the magic made it to the screen. From Freya's icy freeze to the gold-laden goblins of the forest, explore the visual effects at work with an exclusive peek behind the curtain.
- Deleted Scenes with Commentary
- Gag Reel
- Dressed To Kill – Academy Award-winning costumer Colleen Atwood returns to help reignite the splendor she brought to Snow White and The Huntsman. A visual feast, her costumes often border on the supernatural in their beauty while helping bring the characters to life.
- Love Conquers All — From the infectious enthusiasm of director Cedric Nicolas-Troyan to the sisterly bond shared by Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron, the set of The Huntsman: Winter's War was filled with laughter and life. Actors and artists came together to help create a fairy tale about the pure power of love — and had a blast along the way.
- Feature Commentary by director Cedric Nicolas-Troyan
Steelbook: Best Buy - $19.99
4K Steelbook: Best Buy - $27.99
The Nice Guys: Amazon - $19.99
Set in 1970s Los Angeles, down-on-his-luck private eye Holland March (Ryan Gosling) and hired enforcer Jackson Healy (Russell Crowe) must work together to solve the case of a missing girl and the seemingly unrelated death of a porn star. During their investigation, they uncover a shocking conspiracy that reaches up to the highest circles of power.
- Always Bet On Black
- Worst. Detectives. Ever. Making The Nice Guys
Rachet & Clank: Amazon - $19.99
Ratchet and Clank tells the story of two unlikely heroes as they struggle to stop a vile alien named Chairman Drek from destroying every planet in the Solana Galaxy. When the two stumble upon a dangerous weapon capable of destroying entire planets, they must join forces with a team of colorful heroes called The Galactic Rangers in order to save the galaxy. Along the way they'll learn about heroism, friendship, and the importance of discovering one's own identity.
- Ratchet & Clank: A Hero's Journey
- Ratchet & Clank: Leveling Up
Ash Vs. Evil Dead (Season One) : Amazon - $24.99
Bruce Campbell reprises his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons - personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its Evil grip.
Steelbook: Best Buy - $29.99
The Walking Dead (Season 6) : Amazon - $39.99
Season Six starts with Alexandria's safety shattered by multiple threats. To make it, the people of Alexandria will need to catch up with our survivors' hardness while many of Rick's people will need to take a step back from the violence and pragmatism they've needed to embrace. These reversals won't happen easily, or without conflict. But now Rick's group is fighting for something more than survival... They're fighting for their home, and they will defend that at any cost, against any threat, even if that threat comes from within.
- Episode 616: Last Day On Earth -- The Extended Version (Blu-ray exclusive)
- Audio Commentaries
- Deleted Scenes
- The Making of The Walking Dead
- In Memoriam
- 601: Out of The Quarry
- Guts & Glory: The Death of Nicholas
- Strength in Bonds
- Negan: Someone to Fear
- The Face of Death: Iconic Walkers of The Season
Steelbook: Target - $39.99
Lenticular Slip: Best Buy - $29.99
Walmart Bonus Disc
The Strain (Season 2) : Amazon - $37.99
The mysterious epidemic transforming the citizens of New York into horrifying creatures continues to rage during the second terrifying season of this acclaimed horror series. While doctors Ephraim Goodweather (Corey Stoll) and Nora Martinez (Mia Maestro) race to create a biological weapon to destroy the creatures, Abraham Setrakian (David Bradley) relentlessly searches for an ancient book that may hold the key to defeating the sinister "Master." Aware that he is now hunted by his handful of unlikely allies, the Master creates even more unstoppable bloodthirsty monsters in this darkly thrilling show that delivers nonstop chills from the first episode through the climactic season finale!
- Deleted Scenes
- Meet the Crew of The Strain
- The White Room
- Audio Commentary on "Night Train" featuring Carlton Cuse
- Gag Reel
- Beyond the Page
- Sentient strigoi
Lucifer (Season One) : Amazon - $34.99
Based on the character from DC Entertainment's Vertigo comic, Lucifer is bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, and has resigned his throne and retired to the City of Angels, where he is indulging in a few of his favorite things — wine, women and song. When a beautiful pop star is brutally murdered before his eyes, he feels something awaken deep within him...for the first time in roughly 10 billion years. Is he actually capable of feelings for a human being? The very thought disturbs him — as well as his best friend and confidante, Mazikeen (aka Maze), a fierce demon in the form of a beautiful young woman. The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective Chloe Decker, who finds herself both repulsed and fascinated by Lucifer. As they work together to solve the murder, Lucifer is struck by Chloe's inherent goodness. Used to dealing with the absolute worst of humanity, he begins to wonder if there's hope yet. Maybe everyone's got a chance for redemption. Even the Devil.
- ALL 13 One-Hour Episodes
- Lucifer: 2015 Comic-Con Panel
- Character Profile: Amenadiel
- Character Profile: Linda
- Character Profile: Chloe Decker
- Character Profile: Dan
- Devilish Duo
- Lucifer Morningstar
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
The Duel: Amazon - $16.99
A Texas Ranger (Liam Hemsworth) investigates a series of murders in an Old West town that's run by a former Confederate officer (Woody Harrelson).
Der Bunker: Amazon - $22.99
A young student seeks quiet and solitude to focus on an important work but ends up as the teacher of a peculiar boy who is home-schooled by his parents in an isolated bunker mansion.
Roots (2016) : Amazon - $22.99
The classic story of Roots is retold in this miniseries based on Alex Haley's 1976 novel. The show paints a portrait of American slavery through the journey of a family that has a will to survive through many hardships. Malachi Kirby stars as Kunta Kinte, a proud and educated young man who uses those traits to empower himself when he is captured and sold into slavery. While he is enslaved, he challenges his fellow slaves to fight for their freedom as he continues working toward achieving his dream of escaping and returning to his homeland of The Gambia.
Narcos (Season One) : Amazon - $22.99
Netflix takes on the infamous Medellín drug cartel in "Narcos," which follows the rise and fall of Colombian kingpin Pablo Escobar and the Drug Enforcement Agency agents hunting him. The story is told largely from the points of view of Escobar, played by Brazilian actor Wagner Moura, and U.S. DEA Agent Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook), on opposite sides of what would become an all-out war. The gritty drama begins with the early days of the drug battle, when the biggest offenders were "hippies in flip-flops" caught with up to a kilo of marijuana, continuing to the violent, bloody battles between members of the cartel peddling tons of kilos of cocaine and drug agents from Colombia, Mexico, and the U.S. -- a struggle estimated to have cost at least 4,000 lives over two decades. Pedro Pascal ("Game of Thrones") co-stars as Mexican DEA Agent Javier Peña.
Legends Of Tomorrow: Amazon - $27.99
From the creators of The Flash and Arrow comes this Super Hero team-up that combines characters from both series, as well as new heroes from the DC Comics pantheon. Having seen the future, one he will desperately try to prevent from happening, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter is tasked with assembling a disparate group of both heroes and villains to confront the unstoppable threat of the immortal Vandal Savage — a threat which not only puts the world at stake, but all of time itself.
- ALL 16 one-hour episodes
- DC's Legends of Tomorrow: 2015 Comic-Con Panel - Warner Bros. Television Presents a Night of DC Entertainment at Comic-Con 2015
- Jonah Hex: Hex Marks the Spot - Journey behind the scenes of "The Magnificent Eight" as producers bring the legend of Jonah Hex and the ways of the Old West to life.
- A Fantastic Voyage: Touring the Waverider Set - Journey behind the scenes with the production design team responsible for bringing the Waverider to life. From the origin of the time traveling ship, to the VFX that completes the illusion, a complete look.
- History in the Making - Explore the cross over between fact and fiction, as the Legends team makes contact with a variety of eras thought the series. Time travel with the heroes and villains of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.
- Gag Reel